Wire Wheel and Tyre Advice

Home Forums SP250 Owners’ Club Forum Wire Wheel and Tyre Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    timamos1
    Participant

I am changing from steel wheels to wires. Can any one suggest a good place to get chrome wires from. Also need tyres. Is there a size and brand that is best suited to the SP250.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Tim

Sumptners
    Keymaster

Hello Tim
    The main source of wire wheels is MWS. When I fitted wires to my SP 10 years ago I purchased from SC Parts who still sell them. I suspect the wheels had the same source, but I found SC cheaper than MWS. The choice of finish is a matter of taste. Stainless steel is now popular however whilst it has obvious advantages it does seem to sparkle as much as chrome. The painted finish is the cheapest.
    I fitted 5″ x 15″ tyres which are a good compromise although for the purest 4 1/2″ may be preferable.
    My tyres are Fulda which I believe are only available now in low profile, but Vredstein sprint classics 185 x 15 are now popular as are Michelin XAS in 180 x 15 size. In most cases these should not cause problems with rubbing on the body. Avoid low profile and fit 80 aspect ratio.

Another option is Turrino wire wheels, the company is I believe run by a SP owner which is extensively modified.
    Regards
    Stewart

soaringace
    Participant

I would echo Stewart’s advice above.

The other option to consider for tyres is Blockley
    https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/185vr15

They used to supply these ready fitted to MWS wires at a discount – not sure if they still do, but may be worth checking.

Alan

timamos1
    Participant

Thank you for the replies. Just ordering the chrome wires from SC parts right now !

Still not too sure on the tyes. Longstone classic tyres have done a comparison video of a number of tyres, and one they suggest as favourable is the Michelin 180HR15 XAS , as you suggested Stewart. Although they say they are good for the extra ground clearance and gearing they suggest there is a possibility for rubbing on full lock, also as you mentioned Stewart. So ultimately the guy there suggests a 165 size.

Dilemma now !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.