Petrol Reserve

Home Forums SP250 Owners’ Club Forum Petrol Reserve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rogerharrop
    Participant

I’ve seen in a recent JDHT article that the B spec SP, which mine is, has a petrol reserve switch. If so where is it?

Many thanks

Roger

John Holmes
    Participant

I have the same question too

I am new to my spec car

chatty
    Participant

It’s an illuminated pull switch to the right of the steering wheel on the dash board sometimes along side a second switch.

Sumptners
    Keymaster

A photograph has been added to the Gallery showing the petrol reserve switch. It is on the last page of the Gallery. If the photo is ‘clicked’ it enlarges to show the full page. Photo courtesy of Laurence Jones.

The photo is taken from the Supplementary Handbook as it was an extra on all spec. cars. The original standard wiring loom would have had a connection for the switch behind the dashboard and further wiring in the boot for the reserve unit.

Over the years the reserve unit in the petrol tank deteriorates. For this reason the club now has a facility to repair the reserve unit. Please use the contact page to obtain details.

Stewart Amos

John Holmes
    Participant

Thanks

I thought it might be but I am not sure mine is connected to anything even though it illuminates, but that is another story ! Time to check the wiring

lauriej1s
    Participant

My Error in that it was standard on the C spec as was the trickle charger

Laurence

lauriej1s
    Participant

The main problem with the tank unit is that the two pipes in the tank are ‘rolled’ instead of ‘drawn’ which open up along the soldered seam and air gets drawn into the system . Result no fuel at the carburetors. These pipes will unscrew once the fine mesh filter has been un-soldered. Take a picture of the unit so that you replace the pipes in the correct position.

We in the club have a one man facility for re-building, which includes re-winding the electrical solenoid and replacing with drawn pipes etc.

We do need the old unit to overhaul.

Laurence

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.