Installing a 5 speed gearbox

Home Forums SP250 Owners’ Club Forum Installing a 5 speed gearbox

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sumptners
    Keymaster

I have been approached by an owner who wishes to install a 5 speed gearbox. Any advise such as type of gearbox, kits available etc. and cost would be helpful.

If any owner is willing to contact the owner direct please use the contact page to let me know and I will put you in touch.

Otherwise please reply on the forum.

Many thanks
    Stewart

lauriej1s
    Participant

Stewart,

Has the owner a gearbox in mind, be it a Borg Warner T5 or its derivatives: the Rover L 77 ‘box or the tried and tested NZ Toyota set-up?

Laurence

Sumptners
    Keymaster

I believe the owner has an open mind. Wants advice on the best way forward.
    Stewart

Ian flh
    Participant

I don’t understand the 5 speed box route, you are playing about bastardising the car, for reasonable originality the the way to go is overdrive on the standard box or fitting the 4.2-1 crown and pinion the overdrive. However if the reason is for everyday use and protect the original box, then bearing in mind cost of the various conversions which aren’t cheap then the way to go is a ZF 8speed auto box as used by various manufactures of luxury cars from 2008, must be a few cars written off about for it to be a viable proposition

Majorursa
    Participant

New Zealand now seem to be doing Tremec T5 conversion kit in place of the Toyota. Link is here:

http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/results.php

Those who have seen it will know that this is the gearbox the Jay Leno raves over in his Dart restoration blog. Cost is about GBP 1,500 for the conversion kit (plus shipping and taxes) and a bit of googling found a T5 gearbox for about GBP 2,000.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.