Crank rope oil seal leak

Home Forums SP250 Owners’ Club Forum Crank rope oil seal leak

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  frogeye27@yahoo.co.uk 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My 1962 Dart has the ‘standard’ crankshaft rope oil seal leak. I am waiting for Russ C to take it in and convert to more modern seal but has anyone fabricated an oil catcher to save damaging drives etc whilst I wait? Any diagrams or photos would be very helpful!
    Thanks

Margaretsp
    Participant

Hi
    It depends on how bad the leak is if it is confined to one spot the a plastic tray from Wilkos or similar would suffice. A more substancial leak then drip trays are readily available. I use a top off a water header tank which I acquired when the water tank in our loft failed failed. It may be worth filling what ever you use with sawdust.
    Regards

Colin

lauriej1s
    Participant

Frogeye,

You must either have a late SP engine or an engine from a saloon.

There is /was a special tool for resizing /fitting the rope seal into the rear bearing. This rope seal was a Daimler modification following on from the ‘ring’ type that were originally fitted.

Laurence

Thanks Laurie, yes it is a saloon engine modified by P G. I am awaiting D Carpenter to call it forward to machine and fit a modern seal but hoped to try to save some money…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.